Performance lags with MariaDB built from source

System config:
OS: Ubuntu 18.04
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2660 (40 logical cores)
RAM: 160GB

I built a debug build of MariaDB server 10.5 from the Github source
and tried to load and execute the TPC-H benchmarks on it with a
database size of 1GB. While loading the data and executing queries, I
observed that MariaDB takes an unusually large amount of time (more
than 10x compared to other databases like QuickStep or MonetDB) to
load the data and execute queries (more than 10 minutes per query,
compared to less than a minute for other databases). I'm running the
server with following options -

./bin/mysqld --user=nisargs
--datadir=/fastdisk/mariadb-server-install-2/data/
--innodb-read-io-threads=40 --innodb-write-io-threads=40
--innodb-buffer-pool-size=16G --innodb-buffer-pool-instances=40

I just wanted to get some eyes on this and check if there is something
wrong with the command line options (or whether I can tweak some
options to improve performance). I'm just trying to conduct some
benchmarking experiments and not very familiar with databases.

Thanks
Nisarg

Follow ups