MariaDB crashes when running DESCRIBE command

I am running MariaDB 10.4.12 on Windows Server 2018. I am connecting to it from a Java application using mariadb-java-client-2.5.4

I use Statement.executeQuery(string) to execute a query on the database. Most of the time this works without a problem, but I have just found that if the query is "DESCRIBE servers", where servers is the name of a table, it crashes the MariaDB service.

I can run the query without a problem from the mysql shell, it is only when running it through the java connector.

The error log crash data is shown below.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Andy Ling

Version: '10.4.12-MariaDB-log'  socket: ''  port: 3306  mariadb.org binary distribution
200624 15:48:11 [ERROR] mysqld got exception 0xc0000005 ;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.

To report this bug, see https://mariadb.com/kb/en/reporting-bugs

We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
diagnose the problem, but since we have already crashed,
something is definitely wrong and this may fail.

Server version: 10.4.12-MariaDB-log
key_buffer_size=65536
read_buffer_size=131072
max_used_connections=16
max_threads=65537
thread_count=22
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_threads = 5380 K  bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

Thread pointer: 0x209c95a8
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
mysqld.exe!st_select_lex::init_select()[sql_lex.cc:2428]
mysqld.exe!mysql_init_select()[sql_parse.cc:7492]
mysqld.exe!MYSQLparse()[sql_yacc.yy:14556]
mysqld.exe!parse_sql()[sql_parse.cc:10210]
mysqld.exe!mysql_parse()[sql_parse.cc:7856]
mysqld.exe!dispatch_command()[sql_parse.cc:1844]
mysqld.exe!do_command()[sql_parse.cc:1359]
mysqld.exe!threadpool_process_request()[threadpool_common.cc:366]
mysqld.exe!tp_callback()[threadpool_common.cc:193]
ntdll.dll!RtlDllShutdownInProgress()
ntdll.dll!DbgUiRemoteBreakin()
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk()
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart()

Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort.
Query (0x209c15c0): SET STATEMENT max_statement_time=5 FOR describe servers
Connection ID (thread ID): 52

Optimizer switch: index_merge=on,index_merge_union=on,index_merge_sort_union=on,index_merge_intersection=on,index_merge_sort_intersection=off,engine_condition_pushdown=off,index_condition_pushdown=on,derived_merge=on,derived_with_keys=on,firstmatch=on,loosescan=on,materialization=on,in_to_exists=on,semijoin=on,partial_match_rowid_merge=on,partial_match_table_scan=on,subquery_cache=on,mrr=off,mrr_cost_based=off,mrr_sort_keys=off,outer_join_with_cache=on,semijoin_with_cache=on,join_cache_incremental=on,join_cache_hashed=on,join_cache_bka=on,optimize_join_buffer_size=on,table_elimination=on,extended_keys=on,exists_to_in=on,orderby_uses_equalities=on,condition_pushdown_for_derived=on,split_materialized=on,condition_pushdown_for_subquery=on,rowid_filter=on,condition_pushdown_from_having=on

The manual page at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.
Writing a core file at C:\Data\MySQL\data\

DISCLAIMER:
Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not relate to the official business of the company are neither given nor endorsed by the company. Thank You.

Follow ups