Re: How to replicate TO a HA pair of MariaDB servers?

Martin, howdy.

> Hi,
>
> I've got a bit of a different question regarding MariaDB replication.
>
> But first, let me say that I'm familiar with both master-master and
> master-slave replication.
>
> What I'm after advice on is how to replicate tables from a number of single host instances of MariaDB
> to a single HA pair of MariaDB servers (HA-1/HA-2) that have a VIP that moves between them.

So these would be two slaves that alternate on actual connections with 'a
number of single host instances' \footnote{
If that's correct, naturally I am guessing the two slave also replicate to each
other:

Host -> Slave_HA-[12] -> Slave_HA-[21]
}

> One way of looking at this might be to say that the single host instances of MariaDB are satellite
> servers that I need to pull table data back into a primary pair. Kind of like a backup.
>
> I've tried to think of how I could do this using what I know.
>
> Can I setup master-slave relationships and specify the source address on the slave (in this case the HA
> pair)?

MASTER_BIND ?

> The idea is that the replication would fail from HA-1 when the VIP is on HA-2. In this case the
> single-host masters would only allow replication connections from the VIP. Or the connection out from
> the slave to the master would fail to bind to the VIP (and thus fail to connect to the master) if the
> VIP was not on a local interface.
>
> Of course I want both servers (HA-1/HA-2) in the redundant pool to be able to serve queries, so I'm not
> too keen on setting the bind address in [mysqld] to be the VIP and using net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind -
> but I could be open to that.
>
> Is it possible to specify a bind address for replication that is
> separate to that used in [msyqld]?

Yes it is above.

> Are there other ways to solve this problems?

I hope this reply helps.

> Cheers.

Likewise,

/ndrei