Re: Galera replication - optimistic locking problems

On Wednesday 16 December 2020 at 02:35:33, Markus Mäkelä wrote:

> A common method of avoiding deadlocks with Galera is to put a proxy in front
> of it that understands the cluster. One of these is MariaDB MaxScale (a team
> which I'm a part of) which has advanced support for Galera clusters.

Thanks for the info and pointer to a potential solution.

I started by looking at how to install it and landed at
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-package-repository-setup-and-usage/

That tells me "MariaDB MaxScale is licensed under the Business Source License
1.1, so it is not entirely free to use for organizations who do not have a
subscription with MariaDB Corporation. If you would like more information, see
the information at MariaDB Business Source License (BSL): Frequently Asked
Questions."

So, I'm now trying to understand the licensing limitations of MaxScale - since
it's not simply GPL like MariaDB is :(

Looking at https://mariadb.com/bsl-faq-mariadb/ it talks about usage "below
the specified use limitation".

Then referring to https://mariadb.com/projects-using-bsl-11/ I see:

"Additional Use Grant: You may use the Licensed Work when your application
uses the Licensed Work with a total of less than three server instances for
any purpose."

So, is this "additional use grant" the same as "usage below the specified use
limitation"?

Also, does "less than three" mean "one or two" or does it include "three"?

Finally, assuming we want to use MaxScale in a production environment with not
"less than three" instances, where can I find the price list telling us what
this would cost?

Thanks,

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

 - Douglas Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.