Re: Introduction and Task Suggestion

Hi, Hemant!

On Mar 14, Hemant Kumar Singh wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am Hemant from Nepal, currently a Computer Science Junior at NIT
> Warangal, India willing to take part in GSoC 2021.
>
> I saw a major priority task "MDEV-13648- Add FULL OUTER JOIN to
> MariaDB" unresolved since gsoc 2019; but it's not listed in 2021 List
> of Ideas. So, I was just wondering whether I can contribute to this
> task for gsoc 2021. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, you absolutely can, and it's great that you're looking beyond
what's listed on our "GSoC 2021" page of suggestions.

The thing is - GSoC rules were changed this year and there is less time
for coding than before. So in 2021 we offer smaller tasks that can
reasonably fit within the new GSoC format.

For MDEV-13648, I think, we need to define some subtask, so that if you
implement that, the project would be still a success, even if you won't
have time for the full MDEV-13648. So - totally possible, and it'd be
perfect if you'll manage to do it all. But to make it comparable with
other tasks we should define this intermediate milestone within
MDEV-13648.

Regards,
Sergei
VP of MariaDB Server Engineering