Re: Building mariadb without PCRE?

Hi, Chris!

On Apr 19, Chris Ross (cross2) wrote:
> Good day.  We have been using MariaDB in our product for a while, and
> are upgrading to 10.5.8 at the moment.  I’ve just noticed that it’s no
> longer using the PCRE on our system, it’s grabbing its own from
> outside since the upgrade to PCRE2.

There are two options. Either it can link dynamically with a system
libpcre2-8.so or statically with pcre2 compiled from source, that was
downloaded by cmake during the build.

Normally Linux distributions use the first option and the second one is
when one needs a standalone binary with minimal set of external
dependencies.

> We’re not using PCRE extensions at all in our applications, and I’d
> rather not pull in another extraneous library.  We are a largely
> embedded product, and adding libraries is a technical and bureaucratic
> effort.  Can I just build mariadb without PCRE support at all, using
> the traditional extended POSIX regexps instead?  I don’t see a way to
> do this in the cmake files/parameters.

No, it's not possible. It shouldn't be difficult to implement it,
but at the moment it's not supported.

Regards,
Sergei
VP of MariaDB Server Engineering