pt-online-schema-change vs alter with alter_algorithm='NOCOPY'

Hi.  In previous jobs, i have used pt-online-schema-change quite a bit,
normally testing the change the night before it went live.  I have a very
good understanding about how pt-online-schema-change works and i would like
to understand the inner workings of alter_algorithm='NOCOPY'. If i can
trust that as much as the percona script, i'm going to be happy happy
person.

Thanks.  This is my reddit post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mariadb/comments/mx4e60/ptonlineschemachange_vs_alter_nocopy_how_exactly/
.

I know we have a lot of great responders here, and if the answer comes here
or on reddit, i will copy and paste for everyone's knowledge.

Thanks all!