mysql 5.5 client vs mariadb 10 server

Hi,

I'm sorry for the question if it is clear that it isn't possible. I'm
trying connect from a mysql 5.5.56 client against a mariadb 10 server and
I'm having the next error:

ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'server' (10061)

Subnet source is allowed in mariadb server and grant is given for
'root'@'source_server',
it is allowed both IP and hostname. So not sure if it is config problem or
compatibility problem. Someone knows please? Thanks beforehand.

P.D.: I can connect using dbeaver from my computer client using mysql
binaries (but not sure what mysql client version uses dbeaver).

Cheers...

Follow ups