Re: MariaDB server horribly slow on start

Replaying a gigabyte of a redo log takes seconds on hardware from this century.
When it comes to redo log sizing, there are two bounds:

Upper bound: big enough to soak your peak hour of writes.

Lower bound: big enough that your checkpoint age never hits the
effective redo log size. To provide a margin for error, I normally try
to make it never exceed 80% of redo log size.

There is such a thing as overtuning. If you are seeing crashes
regularly and have no redundant infrastructure for failover, tuning
redo log size to reduce crash recovery is wasting time fixing the
wrong problem.