Re: MariaDB server horribly slow on start

You should hardly ever need to adjust table_open_cache_instances away from
defaults, but it sounds like you may need into bump your table_open_cache
by a 2-4x.

Are you using more than one node for writing? And does the new node get
used for anything immediately after joining?