Re: Maria-db refuses to start

Op 14-10-2022 om 12:45 schreef Marko Mäkelä:
Hi Jogchum,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 4:30 PM Jogchum Reitsma
<jogchum.reitsma@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
[...]
When trying to start it manually, I got the message

[ERROR] InnoDB: Upgrade after a crash is not supported. The redo log was
created with MariaDB 10.5.8.

Searching that message, I saw a post on
<...>

The correct advice is to install MariaDB Server (any version between
10.5 and 10.7 should do), shut down the database, and then upgrade to
10.8.

Before 10.5 (MDEV-12353), the last time the redo log format was
changed was in MariaDB Server 10.2. If you got that error message when
attempting to upgrade from something older than 10.5, then you should
use the exact same major version of MariaDB to perform the shutdown,
because there were some changes to the redo log format in each major
release between 10.1 and 10.5.

I hope that someone can post a correction to that forum.

With best regards,

Marko

Hi Marko,

I uninstalled the mariadb version from opensuse Tumbleweed,
and downloaded and installed mariadb-10.6.10-linux-systemd-x86_64 (init system systemd)in /usr/local, according to the steps explained in the INSTALL_BINARY document.

My assumption of the next steps to take is

- create /usr/local/mysql/data
- chown:chgrp it to mysql:mysql
- in /etc/my.cnf, set /usr/local/mysql/data being the data directory (with opensuse, that is normally /var/lib/mysql, by the way)
- do a mount --bind from my real data directory to /usr/local/mysql/data
- then start the database with /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

Are the steps correct?

If so, I would think the next thing to do is to stop the server with kill -15 <process-id>, remove the /usr/local/mariadb-10.6.10-linux-systemd-x86_64 directory,
and install the current TW-version.

After which things should be normal again...

best regards, Jogchum