maria-docs team mailing list archive

MariaDB versus MySQL page

Community Team,

I'm sending this email to you since this is a wiki page which is not
pure documentation and it's a page I feel the community team should have
the final say on, content-wise. I'm also CC'ing the docs team, since
that's what I do. :)

Anyway, one of the pages on the wiki that needs some serious updating is
the MariaDB versus MySQL page:
http://askmonty.org/wiki/MariaDB_versus_MySQL

As it currently exists it is an (outdated) version of a Release Notes
page (with some extra stuff). Is that what we want for this page?

If so we (or I) will need to come up with a better process whereby it
always gets updated for each new release. At the very least, the page
outline needs an overhaul.

A second option would be to make this page more generic and/or
not-release-specific which would make it easier to keep up-to-date
since it wouldn't necessarily need to be updated for each release.

If we go the more generic route, what type of information should be on
the page? This page is a good place to talk about philosophical
differences between the two camps. We could also do something like have
a table of differences between MariaDB and MySQL. I'm thinking of
something like this:

Storage Engines    MariaDB    MySQL
  FederatedX          Y         N
  OQGRAPH             Y         N
  PBXT                Y         N
  XtraDB/InnoDB       Y         Y
  MyISAM              Y         Y
  and so on...

...expanded of course to include all sorts of information, not just
storage engines.

There is also a third option: We could nuke it from orbit. It's a
drastic solution, but if anyone feels we should do this, let me know.

In closing: I'm interested in hearing what you (and others) think the
future of this page should be.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew