maria-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Stub content on KB?

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 07:14 +0800, Colin Charles wrote:
> Stubs can be mighty annoying when you're looking for something via
> search and all you find is a stub
>
> I wonder if it will also hurt our Google rankings? More stubs = less
> content = "spam" site. Do we know the impact stubs have on this (and
> we can't compare to Wikipedia, because we know that there is
> whitelisting of sites in their search engine -- see recent thread on
> "hacker news" in where they were not #1 any longer and Matt Cutts,
> search maestro/webspam dude at Google chimed in to help)

I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to this. Wikipedia has stubs,
but it's reached a critical mass where a scattering of blank pages
can't really hurt it.

We stub a lot in GNOME, but we do things very differently. Our help
is stored in git, installed along with the software, and published as
HTML on the web. Our stubs never leave git, so only contributors ever
see them.

--
Shaun