maria-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Stub content on KB?

Hi all,

On 11/30/2011 12:32 PM, Shaun McCance wrote:
On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 09:54 -0500, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:14:34 -0500
Shaun McCance<shaunm@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Shaun>  Hi all,
Shaun>
Shaun>  What are your thoughts on adding stub articles/sections to the
Shaun>  KB? For example, adding an article for how to specify account
Shaun>  names without actually writing the content, along with a note to
Shaun>  whoever comes along about what the article should contain.
Shaun>
Shaun>  I've seen stubs work well in other docs efforts. They're an easy
Shaun>  way for contributors to cherry pick work. But with the
Shaun>  "everything is always published" model of a wiki-like KB, stubs
Shaun>  can be annoying to average readers, like a 90s-esque "under
Shaun>  construction" banner.
Shaun>
Shaun>  Thoughts?

I'm fine with the idea of stubs, as long as they don't get lost or
forgotten about. They are a good way to encourage participation and
plot a course for what to add to the KB next.

I like the thought of stubs helping people to participate but as many others have said, I'm very worried about it a) cluttering up the KB and b) not actually helping.

A first step could just be a "Requested Articles" page, and add a link to a "Want to contribute?" in the sidebar and at the bottom of article listings.

To keep track of them, we could add a checkbox to the edit page to mark
whether or not a page is considered a stub, and then have a special
page that lists all stubs.

Instead of a boolean flag for stubs, how about an enum field for status?
Stubs would be one status. This could help you keep track of which pages
you've thoroughly reviewed, for example.

If we do add stubs, nstead of adding another option to the status field or a dedicated check box, I propose going forward with adding tags to the KB. The multiple parents was seen by some as a replacement for tags, but I think they can complement each other and as an alternative way to find what you are looking for.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm now back in town so I actually will be able to participate in this discussion instead of only reading from my phone.
--
Bryan Alsdorf, Lead Web Developer
Monty Program AB. http://montyprogram.com