maria-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Usage of an informal tone on the documentation on the KB

I've also toyed with writing a style guide, but for now it remains in my head. Now that I know someone has been looking, I may start to put some of it down!

The tone in the KB is not overly formal, which in English I think this is a positive and helps readability, especially since many readers are not first-language speakers. The use of the word "you" I'm happy with, for example, "If you see error X, you may need to do Y" is fine.

The use of the word "I" I've tended to rewrite when coming across it, as I don't think this reads well. Quite a lot of the documentation though has been written by a developer explaining a feature they've developed or tested, and the older documentation especially hasn't always been closely looked at.

If you have specific examples you think may be too informal, or come across the word "I", send the links through to me and I'll take a look. I second Daniel that when translating to French, feel free to adjust the tone as required.

ian