Re: Scripting observations and Lightning Network implementation

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 07:23:05PM -0500, Myrtle Warren wrote:

> I think I'm missing something here; do we need a special construct to do this? Doesn't the input/output system provide this functionality? If the "trigger" is an output (denoted by its commitment) supplied by a counterparty, and transaction A spends this output (in addition to any others it needs to serve its purpose), transaction A can only be broadcast successfully once a transaction that pays this output has been propagated. Due to the need for cooperative transaction creation in mimblewimble it is impossible for the holder of transaction A (or any other party) to create the relevant output without the consent of the counterparty. Combine this with a relative locktime and it seems like you have the pieces you need for the rest of the exchange.

The problem is thta you can't "combine this with a relative locktime" because data can only be attached to kernels, which don't have inputs or outputs associated to them in a consensus-verifiable way.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Mathematics Department, Blockstream
Email: apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   https://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew

"A goose alone, I suppose, can know the loneliness of geese
 who can never find their peace,
 whether north or south or west or east"
       --Joanna Newsom