Re: Compact blocks

It should be sufficient for the output and its rangeproof to be separately committed to the chain to prevent ambiguity. Committing to rangeproofs, which are witness data and can be ignored (at a trust tradeoff), will reduce flexibility.

This is a good point. I'm not opposed to the rangeproof and output having separate identifiers. In the context of the compact block discussion I wanted to emphasize the ability to unambiguously commit to a specific (output, range proof) pair to avoid a search problem that quickly becomes untenable, but if this comes in the form of two separate identifiers resolved independently, that should be fine.