Re: Treeless block and UTXO set validation

For some reason this message was sent to spam in Protonmail. May be why there are so few replies.
Sums are not sufficient to validate the UTXO set. Anybody who owns two outputs summing to a commitment `C` can give a peer any pair of commitments `C1` and `C2` with valid rangeproofs such that `C1 + C2 = C`, causing a disagreement on the UTXO set and therefore a consensus failure.
The same is true for inputs although the room for mutation is more limited because there are only so many inputs to choose from.
Same is true for kernels.