Re: Branding and messaging

Hi all,

I am happy to see that "branding" is something already being considered. I know that I have only contributed a few lines of code thus far, but I am happy to give my two satoshi if that's okay.

I would like to second Yeastplume's suggestion of "ingot" but also share additional rationale for why the name makes sense for the Grin "coin". Obviously, "Grin" + "ingot" = "Gringotts", but more importantly an ingot is "a piece of relatively pure material, usually metal, that is cast into a shape suitable for further processing". [1] In other words, it is sort of the raw, fungible unit of a metal before it is refined for whatever purpose it will be used. When a metal is then recycled, it often is then returned to this form before further processing. It is actually with this further processing in mind that ingots are used. This seems very analogous to the way Mimblewimble outputs function, and so I think the name "ingot" serves both to strengthen the homage to Ms. Rowling and convey a certain amount of the coin's actual property. As a side note, an inspiration for a suitable symbol or icon for the project might then be found in "Tinne", the 8th letter of the Old Irish alphabet Ogham, meaning "ingot". [2]

As for "message", I think there are obvious parallels between this project and both Monero and Zcash. With privacy-enhancing cryptocurrencies, many tradeoffs are made between things such as soundness of money, strength of cryptographic assumptions, data size and scalability, computational cost, privacy/fungibility/unlinkability/untraceability, and anonymity, to name a few. Zcash trades stronger cryptographic assumptions, higher computational costs, and issues with soundness of money for very strong privacy and small blockchain footprint. Monero trades large transaction sizes, tougher scalability, and smaller circles of plausible deniability (though still private statistically) for weaker cryptographic assumptions, better soundness of money, and lower computational costs. I think it is important to consider the tradeoffs the Grin makes, and then frame them against these other protocols. For example, weaker protection against linkability and traceability for large improvements in scalability, weak cryptographic assumptions, and strong soundness of money.

Mischief managed,
Seamus Finnigan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingot
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinne