Re: On block rewards

Hi All,

Just catching up with these discussions after the weekend; there have been a lot of interesting arguments put forward and even a couple of completely new viewpoints I hadn’t considered (viewing rewards as bonds,) all of which I think are valuable.

I’m not going to add anything more in particular, as my own viewpoint on particular aspects of the policies we should adopt are a mix of what’s already been said by others. And personally, I’m purely going on gut-feel rather than having any hard data or evidence to back my opinions.

As development is progressing, we do need to make some hard decisions on these matters though. And while there are a lot of good (or not, I don’t know) ideas that can be included into the mix, my own view is that I would strongly advocate not trying to do anything too radically new or experimental with the initial Grin coin itself. In my opinion, the MW technology in Grin is the main thing under the spotlight (rather than speculation about which policies would have what effects on future value,) and it is very new and as-of-yet completely untested. There are enough new ideas within it (and still-unanswered questions) that piling on more untested experimentations could potentially just confuse the outcome.

Once MimbleWimble is proven and observed in the wild, then there will be plenty of opportunity to experiment with different ideas via multiple assets or forks implementing different rules etc. However, for Grin at present I will argue for trying to keep the rules as simple as possible, and to not deviate too far from what has been known to work on other chains (even if imperfectly).

Can I propose we start an issue in Github in which we keep the current list of the proposed rules/policies affixed, have people put the arguments for various points they feel strongly about into the comments, and then edit the rules as arguments are considered?

YP