Running the Mosquitto server on iOS

I have a couple ideas for iOS apps that involves message sending & passing
between devices on a local area network. Before I went off the deep end
building a native MQTT implementation, I wanted to see how much effort
would be involved in getting the Mosquitto broker running on iOS.

Since Objective-C is a strict superset of C, it will at least compile, but
there's no way on iOS (non-jailbroken) to run a command-line daemon, so I
would need a function call or something along those lines to start the
gears turning. I've looked over the code a bit, and it "appears" like I
could just call into main() to do that, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Thoughts?

Matt

Follow ups