Re: libmosquitto on Android

Hi Sharon,

I didn't receive any more information from the person who filed the
bug report, which is a shame. I did go and look into it myself a few
months back, but only got as far as the blurb:

"Before downloading the NDK, you should understand that the NDK will
not benefit most apps. As a developer, you need to balance its
benefits against its drawbacks. Notably, using native code on Android
generally does not result in a noticable performance improvement, but
it always increases your app complexity. In general, you should only
use the NDK if it is essential to your app—never because you simply
prefer to program in C/C++.

Typical good candidates for the NDK are self-contained, CPU-intensive
operations that don't allocate much memory, such as signal processing,
physics simulation, and so on. When examining whether or not you
should develop in native code, think about your requirements and see
if the Android framework APIs provide the functionality that you
need."

It didn't seem like libmosquitto fit that well, so I didn't bother
looking any further.

Cheers,

Roger