Sending large messages to individually adressed devices

Hi guys,

I'm evaluating MQTT and the Mosquitto broker for a system that should
collect sensor data from a number of embedded devices. The embedded devices
is running Linux and is sending about 40 sensor values about every 30
seconds. There will be about 1000 devices and increasing with about 500 per
year. Most will be connected to the Internet by ADSL, LAN and 3G.
It seems that MQTT is a good fit for this, but I have some concerns;
I must be able to send messages to individually adressed devices to change
settings etc. I guess this can be acomplished by sending a message to a
topic that the desired device is listening to. In the message a reply
address is provided which the device post the reply to. I guess this will
work for fine for most situations, but what if I want to send large amount
of data? e.g. a software update (approx. 30 MB)? will this work?

Thanks!
Niclas

Follow ups