unread message count

hi all,

when using mosquito as the messenger for a chat server, the client can be online/offline frequently, when the message receiver is offline, the server should push a notice to the client's phone about it. Is there any elegant pattern we can use to detect:

a message is read/received or not?
how many messages are in the pipeline to be received? because in the push notice, it will tell client a "unread message number" to display on the app icon.
just wondering is there any simple way to do this. Since I am storing all the message between users, adding a "read" state in the db column may help, but i assume it will add a lot of overhead for the traffic.

many thanks,
-horace