Windows Service: Can't find password file

I am trying to set up user authentication on my mosquitto server, so I
figured I would start with using the already provided password file.

*** in the conf file ***
allow_anonymous false
password_file pwfile.example

This works when I run mosquitto from the command line:

C:\Program Files\mosquitto>mosquitto -c mosquitto.conf

When I launch mosquitto this way, I mosquitto starts and I need to log in
to subscribe or publish messages.  But when I try to start the Windows
service I get an error in the logs saying it can't find the password file.
 The path to the service points to the same directory as above.  I have
tried changing the path to %APPDATA%\mosquitto\pwfile.example and putting
the file in <User>\AppData\Roaming\mosquitto\ or
<User>\AppData\Local\mosquitto\ but to no avail.

So, anyone know where I should put the password file to allow the Windows
Service to run?

OS: Windows 7, and Windows Vista.  32 bit.  Mosquitto version 1.1.2.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Follow ups