Auto retain messages when a bridge connection drops

Hey mosquitto users,

My setup is that I have two brokers, one (A) redirecting messages to the
other one (B) with a bridge setup. The problem is, the connection often
drops because of poor network conditions. When this occurs messages
published to broker A are not redirected to broker B, even with qos 1.

Option 1) I suspect this is normal behaviour and I should set the retain
parameter to true for the broker A to actually retain messages and send
them again when the connection gets back up.

Option 2) But in the other hand, I could expect a bridge setup to act as if
it were the same broker, that is to say everything that is published on
broker A gets published on broker B regardless of connection drops. To me
the 'retain' parameter set to true on broker A would just mean broker B
also retains the message, and 'retain' set to false would mean broker A
does not retain the message, still takes care of it being published on
broker B regardless of any connection drop, and broker B does not retain it.

Any help appreciated.

Thomas

Follow ups