mqtt-users team mailing list archive

mosquitto high availability

Hello,

May I ask what solutions people prefer for high availability of
mosquitto brokers?

That is, mosquitto running on multiple hosts, if one dies then
another takes over. Active/passive or active/active considered.

I'm familiar with keepalived, heartbeat/pacemaker and haproxy.

I'm a complete mosquitto newbie so apologies if any of this is
obvious..

Presumably in an active/passive setup with keepalived where you've
got a service IP address being passed around, all the clients are
connected to the live mosquitto.

Then if the live instance experiences problems, keepalived is going
to move the service IP to the other one. Active TCP sessions will
break and clients will all reconnect, so there is a small window for
messages sent with a quality of service of zero to go missing at
that point.

Is that how people are doing it, or is there a better way?

Cheers,
Andy