Re: [Ayatana] Getting rolling for 9.10

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 17:48 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> So to get things started, I'd like to suggest Messaging Menu integrated into
> the systray via the new protocol as an Ayatana objective for Karmic.  To
> assist in this effort, another community developer (I'll thank him by name
> after it works) is working on getting KDE trunk (the to be 4.3) running on
> Jaunty via Project Neon.  That should provide a reasonably stable basis for
> Ayatana developers to work with.

I think that this isn't a good idea for the messaging indicator.  The
principle reason for that is that the spec only deals with the icon not
the menu part of the indicator.  If we took the current indicator,
ported it to this spec, and then displayed it in KPanel -- the menu
would still be a GTK+ menu.  Which is going to look... okay, but not
really that great.

I think that we need to strive for a better experience than that on the
*buntu desktops[1].  I think that the panels on both should be very
tightly integrated and consistent, and I don't think we can achieve that
using either of the notification area specs.

		--Ted

[1] We need a better way to refer to Kubuntu/Ubuntu that puts them on
    the even footing.  Does that one work for folks?