[Ayatana] How about developing a spec for all DE's and implement a common low-level API...

Not sure how best to phrase this... however, here goes.

If we develop a specification and present to f.d.o, which would allow all DE's to integrate this spec via a low level API, which would send D-BUS notifications and allow any "listener" to pick them up and decide what and how to display the notification?

This allows Gnome's DE to decide how to present without precluding a KDE or XFCE implementation from choosing their own method of dealing with the notification.

If the bus is simply presenting the message, then it's DE agnostic and much easier to deal with. I think this is what we should be looking into.

Thoughts?
Roderick B. Greening, B.Sc.
Paradise, NL Canada
E-mail/MSN: roderick.greening@xxxxxxxxx