Re: [Ayatana] notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
Hi list,

I am working on bug 372789 "NotifyOSD notifications shouldn't appear
when using fullscreen applications".
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/372789

I created a patch which detects fullscreen windows and disables
notifications in this case, but it does not take the multiple monitors
case into account: it just stops notifications if there is a fullscreen
window on one of the monitors. I have two solutions:

1. Leave it as it is
2. Try to find a monitor without fullscreen windows and show the
notification there

What do you think is the best solution for this?

Aurélien

Here is the list of fullscreen applications we've come up with on the wiki so far:

  • Games
  • Firefox + firefox flash videos
  • OpenOffice Impress

  • Totem, VLC, and other movie players
  • MonoDevelop and other IDEs

  • OpenOffice Writer (has a nice fullscreen mode!)

  • GIMP
  • Image viewer , picasa slideshows
  • Remote Desktop Clients
  • Skype Video Chat, and other video chat applications
Personally, I would want notifications more often than not when fullscreen-ed in games, while browsing in Firefox, while watching any movie shorter than an hour in length, while programming in an IDE like MonoDevelop, while working in OpenOffice writer on my netbook, while editing photos in GIMP, while viewing a remote desktop, and while conducting personal skype video calls.

Whether my preferences match yours perfectly is not the point, so lets not argue each case individually. I hope we can agree that fullscreen mode does not imply that the user wishes notifications to be blocked; it does not even imply that "low-priority" notifications should not be shown.

On the other hand, we can agree that OpenOffice Impress in presentation mode is a very special case, and that if we had to pick a default behavior for notify-osd during a presentation, it would be more reasonable to turn notifications off than to leave them on.

So, can applications be given a say in this? Or can we create a blacklist? Would a default blacklist, with per-application notify-osd control for the user be a good option?

David