Re: [Ayatana] Interactive notifications idea

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> We're very interested in morphing windows,

>  Allowing actions on
> notifications means that people HAVE to rush to get to them before they
> expire. We view that as broken by design, so we won't have any actions
> on notifications, and that in turn means there's no need for this.

Specifically to avoid such "broken" behavior, I had proposed this
concept for notifications which need interactions.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDesignGuidelines/Comments#Notification%20tags-for%20persistent%20notifications

This concept doesnt disappear unless the user responds > so no rush ,
 is a morphing window              >   so no accidental clicks,
 and persists as a reminder until necessary action is taken.

Such a notification eliminates a lot of hassles.and could be a much
needed solution for the update notifier.

Mpt's reply to this was that instead of notifications popping for
interaction it is better to open the window. This is a users nightmare.
It is not in anyway good behavior of the system to open windows by
itself and surprise the user.Only the user should decide what windows
are open.

Also there are several other good ideas on this wiki page, for
persistent notifications:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDesignGuidelines/Comments

*Dont any of these ideas seem a better design* for an
interactive/persistent notification?

cheers,
mac_v