Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: Getting users to care (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager])

Alex Launi wrote:
> David Siegel also had a really great idea for making updates fun (and it
> also solves the issue of how to handle updates- notification icon or
> pop-under window) at the "install updates on shutdown" discussion. Let me
> preface this with these are his ideas and not mine, I think they're great
> and he deserves the credit. His idea was to do updates at login. We could do
> the checking while you're using, and then if we find them on reboot show
> them in gdm with a nice present icon, like we're giving you a gift. This way
> if an update requires a restart, you don't have to save your state, restart,
> blah blah blah and interrupt your entire workflow, you haven't started yet.
> It might not be possible now, but when the clutter gdm finally lands we
> could do it really beautifully.

Interesting, but don't forget the "do the checking while you're using"
step will need to actually download the updated packages, because when
you reach gdm network may not be up (think laptop with crypted wifi).

A problem with this solution though, is that it does not help people who
mostly suspend/resume their machine. We could also present this update
icon at resume stage, on the lock screen, but again this won't help
people who suspend/resume without locking the machine (for example, soho
desktop users).

Aurélien