Re: [Ayatana] Idea: for Ayatana to have oversight of highly visible projects.

There are many different projects that Ayatana members can help drive, but I will just mention one quickly before heading to bed. hundredpapercuts could really use some "oversight" from Ayatana members.

Here are one hundred usability bugs we've planned to get fixed for Karmic: https://edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/karmic

If you're interested in putting your design and communication skills to use, please take a look at these. Many of them could use user testing data to determine appropriate solutions. A lot of them could use some design exploration in the form of mockups. Most of them having confusing or incomplete titles and descriptions, and need to have contact established with upstream stakeholders in the form of bug reports, and contact with developers on IRC and email to stir up motivation to address some of the longstanding usability issues.

David

H S wrote:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana:  "Ayatana's goal is to build a set of well researched and defined technologies to help extend, improve and refine the Open Source desktop"

Shouldn't that mean that Ayatana should have some oversight, or at least, be made aware of, certain highly visible projects?

For example, the slideshow that will show during the Ubiquity install for Karmic (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/ubiquity-slideshow) will be the first impression that many new users will have of Ubuntu. Shouldn't the Ayatana Team at least keep an eye on - and at most, lend some design and communication skills and polish to - this project? If left to their own devices, I'm afraid the project will only produce a very 'rinky-dink', amateurish outcome that will not leave a good first impression.

I've already tried to lend my design opinions at https://lists.launchpad.net/ubiquity-slideshow/maillist.html, but to little or no avail. :-(

I could suggest other projects as well, but I'm curious what people think. Is Ayatana just about starting new projects, or is it also about participating in highly visible (to the end-user) projects, so that good, consistent, well-designed 'look and feel' is persistent throughout the Ubuntu experience?