Re: [Ayatana] Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

Here's an interesting quote from a user from the bug report:

"Having read this head to tail I see that the discussion is becoming repetitive and not bringing nothing new, I think we should push it into a more constructive direction. I will summarize the most important points that have been said and add my 2 cents.

#1. The "old" notify-osd version had no clear rules. It displayed the messages as they come.
#2. Some people complained that it's obstructing some important components like the minimize/close buttons and Firefox search bar.
#3. The "new" version choses to have predictable positions for the synchronous/asynchronous messages so that the synchronous messages now do not obstruct the above mentioned components.
#4. The "new" version looks bad to some/many (old) users.
#5. The developers says that it's more important that notify-os makes sense to new users, rather than allowing old users to customize the desktop.
#6. Users reply that a mature os should do both (make sense to new users and be pleasing to old users).
#7. Users ask for at least a way to customize the behavior back to the original behavior.
#8. The developers say that adding more customization is bad.

Ok. My point of view:
#A. I understand the need for #3 and #5 but I don't think that the current solution is the best solution for #4 and #6. However i cannot say that I have a better, new one.
#B. I would add that we must understand that the majority of new users are not all new, but probably had some contact with another OS. In neither OS that I know a similar solution is used so it probably isn't that good for them either. At least the old version looked like the usual Windows notification but in reverse (coming down instead of going up). This combined with #4 makes the old version better than the current one.
#C. If indeed the Gnome3 approach is the one presented above, we should also consider that the transition to that is smooth, not a complete redefinition.
#D. We need to take into account scalability. The new design makes some assumptions that are not all in all correct, like: "all sync messages have a fixed size". Will this solution still fit as new notifications are added or the granularity of the current one will be increased. We don't know on what devices will Ubuntu run next and what messages/notifications will those offer.
#E. We (the users) need to understand that what the developers main purpose is that "Ubuntu succeeds". Windows and Mac OS have proved that less configurability works, when many distributions that were driven by the community have failed. It is in my opinion a good decision to keep configurability low. However #5 is a very good point. This is open source. Why add reasons for a fork. Plus, where to place the notifications is not a life changing decision. My solutions would be:
  - #E.1. Allow configurabilly from a configuration file. The new users wouldn't be confused by many options and the old/advanced users would still have the option to configure it to their pleasing.
  - #E.2. Do a vote or better, a research with both old and new users.

Hope this helps bringing the community and the developers to a consent."

--
-Brett Cornwall
BrettCornwall@xxxxxxxxx