Re: [Ayatana] Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
I believe strongly that the only things that should show up in the menu should be the things that are *currently running*

Yes, but, it's also uncomfortable to have to go to somewhere else to run something you interact with in the messaging menu. It becomes a bit of a guessing game on where you have to go to run/open an application. I'd expect most users to not really understand the difference between running and opening an application.

or in the very least are explicitly listed as the ones that should show up as launchers in the menu, either via a whitelist/blacklist preference dialog.

Yes, this may be a good idea so we can guarantee a certain level of sanity with our default applications (or the ones we have in our repos). I'm not sure if that should be tackled as a whitelist/blacklist approach or patches against upstream packages though.

--
Martin