[Ayatana] Hiding shortcut keys in menus

Drawing upon the discussion surrounding the bug "Underline under
accelerator characters in buttons and menu bar should only show when Alt
is pressed"*, Rich Jones suggested curbing the display of all keyboard
shortcuts in menus. At first, I thought this was a ludicrous suggestion,
but then I took a look at the mockups Rich attached to his bug report
(https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/493762) and I
found that the menus seemed significantly easier to use! Rich's mockup
opened my eyes to how cluttered and complex menus are when so many
esoteric keyboard shortcuts are listed--most which are seldom used. I
thought this wild suggestion deserved at least some discussion (and
maybe some user testing).

  * Does anyone know how to configure Gtk to hide keyboard shortcuts in
menus?
  * How would you feel if only the keyboard shortcut for the highlighted
menu entry (e.g. the menu entry under the cursor) were shown?

David

* https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/403691