Re: [Ayatana] Application indicators in gnome shell

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:56, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 16:53 -0700, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 16:24, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Shell does have a way to embed things in its panel, it is
>         using the
>         current notification area spec.  That's how they get things
>         like
>         gnome-power and network-manager into their panel.  Honestly,
>         they're
>         going to have to move on from that for lots of reasons.
>
> Is there anything in the current indicator-applet, or for that matter
> me-applet and indicator-session-applet, that couldn't be done this
> way, via the notification spec?

Yes, the notification area only allows for windows to exist, pretty much
in vacuum.  So there is no way for them to communicate amongst each
other to create something like a menu bar.  There are other issues with
the notification area spec, but that's one of the key ones.

Other notification-area applets seem to do the same thing, ie, a menu with contents that vary based on conditions.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that individual libindicate applications create notification icons. I'm suggesting that the indicator applet itself should be a notification icon.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-