Re: [Ayatana] GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On 16/03/10 12:38, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> Here's another datapoint I just noticed.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/440865 is still affecting and
> confusing users. Incoming SIP calls in particular are difficult to
> respond to in a timely manner. If it's a PSTN-originating call, users
> only have a fixed amount of time to respond before the call goes to
> voicemail. Right now, users require the following process:
>
> 1) Notice notify-osd bubble
> 2) Locate changed indicator bubble on panel
> 3) Open indicator
> 4) Locate incoming call in indicator menu
> 5) Click incoming call
>
> With an interactive notification-daemon:
>
> 1) Notice notification-daemon bubble
> 2) Click 'Accept'

Applications that have an external event that *requires* attention
should be popping up a window. That could be styled as an overlay, and
we'll provide a framework for that in due course. But squeezing that
into a notification is bad design. We've carved out a strict,
well-defined and small set of behaviours for notifications, and will
stick to that. We'll support upstreams who want to work with the design
team on handling other use cases, but won't add features back to the
notifications piece just to support that.

Mark