Re: [Ayatana] GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On 19/03/10 12:03, Conscious User wrote:
Mark, I've accidentally sent a direct message to you instead of the
Ayatana list, and thus the same happened with your reply, sorry.

I wasn't clear, sorry.

I think "outline" should mean "the capability is here but it is not
being used". So, for example, an outline of the wifi signal says "You
have a wifi card but are not connected to any network". Or an outline of
the messaging menu icon suggests "you would find messages here, but
nothing is running that would give them to you". Or an outline of the
sound indicator to say "You could set sound preferences here, but you
don't have a sound card configured".

So outline-to-full transitions suggest "OK, we're up and running now".
You connected, or you have a messaging app running.

This is the articulation I'm expecting from Otto and MPT shortly.

But then... what does "dimmed" stands for?

Dimmed is an interesting option. We have been testing the idea of using dimmed-to-full to indicate "you've got messages", but it looks like messages are important enough that we should go further and use a colour. Since it's positive, rather than an alarm or warning, green would be appropriate if we have to.

I would prefer mono dimmed-to-full because it's pared back. We have too much garish use of colour already, I would prefer to limit the use of colours only to things which really demand action.

Mark