[Ayatana] [Fwd: Re: Fwd: Proposal of new UI element for windows in Ubuntu: Esfera]

(Sorry Mark, I sent the email to you only by error) See below... :)

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: Proposal of new UI element for windows in
Ubuntu: Esfera
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:00:41 +0100
De: Yann Lossouarn <yann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Pour :: Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Références: <4BAC51C5.3020002@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ayatana folks,

IMHO, Pablo's proposal mixes too much concepts, or at least it mixes two
concepts (buttons and gestures) that should remain separated. I *love*
mouse gestures (I started using Opera for that unique feature, and
stopped using Opera when FF extensions bringing the mouse gesture
feature were published). But the reason why I love them is precisely
that I don't have to find a button.
And conversely, buttons are great, because they are really simple to use
  (even my 4y/o daughter knows how to click, and my 2y/o son is coming
close ! :) ) and offer visibility to important functions.
As described in Pablo's document, I feel we would lose both gestures'
quickness and buttons' simplicity. Sorry, Pablo, not convinced.

BTW : it seems Mark, David, Ivanka and all are "open to innovation". Did
you consider integrating mouse gestures to Gnome ? It's not *really* an
innovation, true, but very few people know this feature, and it could be
"felt like an innovation".

Cheers,
Yann