Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: CHI Day 4 continued

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 20:30 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
>         LOL.  I think Mozart figured that out a few centuries ago. :)
>
> yes, he did ;)
> Mozart's medium was occidental music theory, a narrow scope compared
> to what we are talking about in here..
> This here is information theory; Shannon[1], rather than Mozart.
> Communication and language are at the centre of this topic, not music.

I agree, but let's not lose sight of the Feng shui aspect of the
desktop.  Music is communication. It taps into very old parts of the
brain.

> IMHO we should recommend using human voice frequencies as a modeling
> guide for future sound-themes. Best example remains plain old
> telephone (300Hz - 3,400Hz).
> Absolutely small footprint, easy to compress, we hear better within
> this range and just about any large or miniature speaker is capable of
> producing sound within this band, even tiny mobile devices.

I think this maps to the timber argument that Connor was referring to
earlier.  I'd argue for a wider bandwidth for a richer experience.  But
emphasis could be placed on these frequencies.

> I think Ubuntu Ayatana is a good place to discuss the creation of
> computer speech.

I think a good starting point would be to map modes of operation of the
desktop.  Just a few off the top of my head and without particular
importance I can think of: (Just brainstorming here)

Sudo privileges active
Different desktops (1-4)
Battery state
System Load

Since stereo is pretty much standard, sound could be routed to different
channels depending on which side of the screen action occurs on.  Or
perhaps which monitor you are on.  It would help in tracking down those
pesky windows that run in the background that occasionally the eye
misses.