Re: [Ayatana] Tagging in Nautilus

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 13:58, Diego Moya <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 23 April 2010 06:19, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
>> how about tagging files and folders in nautilus?
>> i wouldn't have to move them around much anymore, if i could attach
>> tags to them.
>>
>> imagine you don't have to move your files around physically anymore,
>> you just navigate them via tagging..
>>
>> on a fs level that would be horrendous i suppose, perhaps somebody
>> already thought of something of the sort with some type of
>> meta-filesystem running within a file management service ?
>>

> AFAIK the Tracker [1][2] project already does this. They even have
> some support for Nautilus integration [3]. Tracker is based on Nepomuk
> [4], a project to create a semantic metadata back-end that supports
> all kind of relational information, not just tags.
>

> [1] http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/index.html
> [2] http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/WhatIsTracker
> [3] http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/diary/4.html
> [4] http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/

thanks all!
i'll see if i can get some useful ideas from testing those concepts
already available as packages. smart and easy file management is a
major issue our "leaders" are trying to address now, so i heard.
please keep thoughts and ideas coming, unless of course anybody here
objects to the topic.