Re: [Ayatana] Farewell to the notification area

On 25 April 2010 18:39, Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 13:55 -0300, Paulo J. S. Silva wrote:
>> That is the reason while the pop-up/under/what ever is a BAD idea. And
>> the reason is that it is asynchronous, so the user is getting taught
>> to respond to (possibly fake) windows request their password. This is
>> a path for disaster if we ever get remotely close to solving Bug n. 1.
>
> Option #1: Display an icon in the notification area that nobody clicks,
> as a result security updates never get installed and system is
> compromised from the lack of important security updates.
>
> Option #2: Pop-up the update dialog demanding attention, most users
> click to install the important updates and system is secure as system
> security updates are always applied.

I really don't see why this is an either/or thing. Display an
indicator showing whether updates are available and give a menu to
allow updates to be installed or the package lists to be refreshed. It
can even glow a nice red if security updates are available, or amber
if they are just normal updates. Then if a user doesn't install them
for a week or whatever THEN give them a more obvious prodding
(although I firmly believe the current solution of popping under a
window is not a good idea for the reasons already mentioned).

Luke.