Re: [Ayatana] Reducing Resistance to Change

Let's look at the "tooltip" dialog as an example of a place where people are still "resisting change".
https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-application/+bug/527458?comments=all

I'd argue that what people are really concerned about is two things:

  1. A lack of consistency in the decision process
  2. Losing things in a change
On point 1: Looking at the tooltip bug in particular. The argument was made that "menus don't have tooltips". But the *main* ubuntu menus, for Applications, Places, and System, *all* have tooltips. As far as I know, this was never addressed.

On point 2: People lost the ability to manage fine-grained information, or in some cases, information at all. "Time to charge battery" is still missing, as are many of the other things people brought up in that bug. Which leads me to point #3: Communication

No real response to these questions came up. The closest we got to a response was "the decision has been made and won't be changed for Lucid" from Mark, which didn't actually address the particular criticisms that were made. If the missing features were re-implemented elsewhere (especially since some were accessability-related), or at least stated as not being goals for Ubuntu, then people might be less resistant to it now. The lack of communication on these points was more frustrating than anything. This is one where the perception of an open dialog took a big hit, in my opinion.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-