Re: [Ayatana] Use cases for volume control

2010/5/4 Scott E. Armitage <launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Maybe this is outside the scope of the discussion, but with respect to synchronous streams, I can think of many times where I am browsing websites and opening new tabs as I'm e.g. reading an article when all of a sudden something, somewhere, starts playing audio. I didn't try to initiate any audio stream, but now there is, say, an embedded video playing on some tab somewhere, and I can't find it. I'm not sure what my point is, but it seems like there are two kinds of "synchronous" streams -- those the user expected to happen, and those that the user didn't. The latter case almost blends in the definition of asynchronous streams.

-Scott

I think this still fits the synchronous model. Yeah, you didn't exactly start the audio, but it's not really transient either, treating it as synchronous gives you the ability to mute said stream from whatever ui.

Maybe asynchronous and synchronous weren't the ideal choices. Transient and non-transient? Doesn't really matter, I think the idea is clear enough.

--
--Alex Launi