Re: [Ayatana] Is it time we killed "minimize to tray" ?

Op woensdag 05-05-2010 om 15:38 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Luke
Benstead:
> I've been giving this a lot of thought recently, well actually, I've
> been irritated into giving it thought after not being able to find my
> Rhythmbox window. I've been trying to work out why we have "minimize
> to tray" functionality at all and all I can come up with is that it is
> because the window-switcher applet is so horrible.

I think that "minimize to tray" is a horrible name based on a
misconception.

Personally I consider a music player as a background service, and the
window where you can choose what music to play as a configuration window
for it.  In that way it's not very different from a network manager or
power manager or other background services, except that maybe (depending
on your listening habits) you change the configuration more often.

And although I don't see the point in leaving unused (configuration)
windows around for a background application like that, I still want to
see a status indication and maybe "influence" that status or act on it,
and that's what an app-indicator is supposed to do IMO.

BTW: it seems like most of the app-indicators in lucid aren't all that
useful, as they tend to indicate nothing and just offer a bunch of menu
options.  I hope those get fixed in maverick...  ;)

--
Jan Claeys