Re: [Ayatana] Use cases for volume control

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 14:36 +0200, Martín Soto wrote:
> 2010/5/6 Tommaso R. Donnarumma <tawmas.foss@xxxxxxxxxx>
>         * Johann Sebastian wants to listen to music without
>         interruptions. He
>         needs a quick way to mute all sound sources except his music
>         player.
>
> There seems to be a general need for a way to say the system "please
> do not disturb". This also applies to important VOIP conversations,
> presentations and maybe others. I'll probably add a case for this.

Yes, thank you. This would be very appreciated.

>         * Wolfgang Amadeus wants to listen to music, but he must
>         accept some
>         interruptions, like incoming calls (both via VOIP and standard
>         phone).
>         He needs a quick way to mute spam sound, as well as a quick
>         way to pause
>         his music when he takes a call, and a quick way to restart the
>         current
>         song, when he's done.
>
> In which way is this different from Gerhardt's case?

In Gerhardt's case music is muted but not stopped, so when the
interruption is over you will pick it up from where it went to in the
meanwhile. But if you're an audiophile, you just want playback to pause
so that it can resume from where you were (and, if you happen to be
picky, this means listening to the track from the start).

Music players can handle this reasonably well (better the pausing than
the restarting), although there is room for improvement. This is out of
scope for volume control, but it would be nice if well intentioned
volume control wouldn't step into this use case making it harder than it
is now.

Tommaso