Re: [Ayatana] Menu complication

Hello Shane, thanks for this, it's been nagging me on my 10"

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:03, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey all,

I looked recently at the system menu items and I have to say even I got
confused. Theres just way too many menu items there and there is no real
logical order to the items.

Yop.
First thing to correct is perhaps where to put Evolution.
Does Evolution belong into "office", or is it an "internet" appliance?

Can we clean up the items or order them logically?

At the moment, the order is alphabetical, which is against all use cases but the "alphabetical search". Especially when i check my mom's computer, which is set to German, the order of the items in "System" is broken. I can't tell her on the phone "go to System then select the third icon from the top..", because the third icon from the top will be a different one... oouutch

Or can we start using Gnome Control Panel instead of having the menus
for system preferences and admin?  Gnome Control Panel is included by
default but not shown in the menu. (This option would be more familiar
to windows users)

funny, i just re-activated that in my menu yesterday. The menu is faster though.

Ive attached two screenshots of my current menus. The preferences part
is actually bigger than my screen. I think this issue really needs
addressing for Maverick.

The Preferences menu on my 10" doesn't fit the screen. The scrolling handles work well, except that if i leave the handle, the list jumps and i can never click the last few entries.. Bug. Can other netbook users confirm this?