Re: [Ayatana] Applications, a navigable folder

This looks very similar to the Applications Place, coming to an Ubuntu Netbook near you in 10.10 ;)

David

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 03:57 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:

> * delete application from /usr/share/applications to do "apt-get
> remove [package]"
> * drag a package name or apt-url into this folder to do
> "apt:[package]"
> * show details about software application in side pane (version,
> homepage, report a problem etc)

The ROX Desktop, inspired by RISC OS, uses application directories.
http://roscidus.com/desktop/
http://freshmeat.net/articles/application-directories

This in combination with http://0install.net/
As I recall from reading about it years ago, both "installed" and
"available" applications are represented by launchers, so there's only a
"run" command, no "install" command. Having an application installed
locally then only means you have it cached.

By now the best known implementation of the basic idea has to be the
Bundles of MacOS X.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_Bundle

--
Thorsten Wilms