Re: [Ayatana] WWW Connection State Awareness

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 02:38 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
> Hello MPT, Hi everyone..
>
> I'd like to pick this topic up, since it is important and it looks
> like it's currently sleeping.
>

> How do i know if i am connected to the internet successfully?
> Is there an indicator to inform me about that particular state?
> Obviously not, with all the stuff i have up there, i have no secure
> way of knowing if i'm "online" or not.
>
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 18:58, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         [...] But as of 10.04, this button is
>         shown only if both (a) the installer knows of a critical issue
>         about
>         installation in particular and (b) there is an Internet
>         connection.
>         Release notes are not shown for upgrades at all.
>

> How does the installer know whether there is an internet connection?
> Couldn't we use that information to tell an indicator to inform the
> user about that state?

I thought we'd covered this a few times before:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg01693.html

Of course if we're ditching NM for conman then I guess just making sure
that we have our www checks and state values in there fromt he start
would help with this.

Martin,